[Zope] Not enough options! (was Re: External Methods - Weirdness between two installations of Zope)

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:42:47 -0800

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:42:43AM +0000, Ian Sealy wrote:
> One of the effects of debug mode is that Zope reloads external methods
> automatically if they've changed on the filesystem. For other effects,
> see:
>
> 	http://www.zope.org/Members/klm/debuggingzope

<rant mode="tangent">

Is it just me, or is anyone else really irritated by
how many things are toggled by Z_DEBUG_MODE?

For example, I want my production site to not display
tracebacks to users, but I *don't* want it to detach from
the terminal - I agree with the author of daemontools
that a daemon which insists on running in the background is broken.
If I wanted to run it in the background,
**** I would put it in the background. ****

I looked into patching z2.py to add some command line switches
(e.g. --html-tracebacks, --foreground, --auto-refresh ...)
and then the current -D could just invoke a combination of other switches.

But it looks like a pretty involved job to patch zope
to separate out all the stuff that's lumped in as "debugging".
It looks to me like changes would have to be made
all over the place.  Grrrr.

</rant>

--

Paul Winkler