[Zope] Zope hangs when copying large/many objects

Florian Konnertz florian.konnertz@web.de
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:49:14 +0100

Stefan H. Holek wrote:
> What Cut/Copy/Paste does is export to a tempfile, and reimport at the
> destination. So, copy/paste should never take longer than export/import.
>
> The perceived "hanging" might just be "taking a really long period of
> time", or it may be caused by insufficient diskspace in your /tmp
> partition.

I see. Thanks for the info, this makes sense, partly at least:

In spite the server seems to be hanging, it executes a few operations
(about 20 in an hour for example), it's just incredible slow.
When i direct my browser to do several requests it starts waiting for
response, so i guess the orders are in a kinda queue at the server, is
this right?

What about the memory: Top shows a very high memory allocation:

   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
  9201 nobody    16   5  299M 228M  1176 S N   2.9 91.1   5:21 python
  9203 nobody    16   5  299M 228M  1176 S N   2.7 91.1  18:15 python

The harddisk has 1,5G free space, it's one partition, there's in enough
space in /tmp, i guess. My friend checks this at the moment.

RAM according to dmesg:
Memory: 256816k/262080k available (1249k kernel code, 4880k reserved,
513k data, 72k init, 0k highmem)

later:
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed
Adding Swap: 136512k swap-space (priority -1)

Futhermore:
Out of Memory: Killed process 3265 (python).
Out of Memory: Killed process 3269 (python).
... etc.
What does this tell me in this context?

Needs more mem???

cu