OS recommendation was [Zope] Large File Support (LFS) in Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:55:25 +0100

Michael Long wrote at 2003-1-21 21:44 -0500:
 > Why don't you recommend SuSE 8.1? What would you recommend for a new installation of zope connecting to postgres.
My experience with SuSE 8.1 was the ever worst I have had with
Linux installations, almost nothing worked:

  *  upgrade (SuSE 7.3 --> 8.1) hang after all packages
     had been installed and just before Linux was rebooted

  *  booting the new kernel reported: invalid format

  *  booting the alternate kernel reported that something has been too
     large

  *  booting the rescue system on the CD hang

After 1/2 days of fight, I found out that the hanging was
caused because the 8.1 SuSE could no longer work with my USB
keyboard (while 7.3 could without problem)

Bad experiences continued, after I had connected an old PS2 keyboard:

  *  "lilo" not installable, because of a missing "message" file;
     worked only after "lilo.conf" was fixed

  *  after "lilo" was installed, the kernel could be booted
     However, "YaST" found a read only file system and
     (of course) failed miserably.

     Cause has been an empty "/etc/init.d/boot.d" directory.
     Therefore, the initial booting phase (including
     remounting the file system read/write) was not executed.

  *  VMWare no longer worked, because SuSE 8.1 has disabled
     APIC support

  *  Java Support for Mozilla broken

     Already SuSE 7.3 had promissed to include Netscape 6
     but in fact, only had the old Netscape 4.78.
     SuSE 8.1, too, was unable to provide a fully workable
     Web browser.

  *  The installation reported problems for 17 packages.
     It told me which ones but I could not get any information
     why.

  *  The installation support apparently did not understand
     my USB keyboard problem (told me about safe settings and some
     obscure kernel parameters which did not affect the
     keyboard problem in any way).

     After about 2 weeks, I myself found out that SuSE 8.1
     just did not include the kernel module for the USB keyboard driver....

  *  The installation support refused to tell anything about
     the Java Mozilla problem.
     It offered me commercial support...

That was enough bad experience.

I decided to use Debian Linux in the future.

Dieter