[Zope] Cygwin + python + zope 2.6.0 on windows XP

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:32:47 +0200

Hi all,

I kept having strange problems getting Zope to run with python2.1.1 with
cygwin on Windows XP. I got everything to work now with standard 2.1.3
source package - but had strange problems on the course.

I followed instructions on mailinglist and on url:

http://www.zope.org/Members/dgeorgieff/howto_zope_cvs_on_cygwin

I kept hitting my head for a while in the rebase section. I felt that
anything that I tried stopped to an error while trying to do rebasesing.
Allways atleast one .dll produced error. And mailinglists provided me no
help.

After I reinstalled cygwin luck seemed to turn. I succesfully compiled
from cygiwn source python 2.2... and built Zope extensions nicely with
it, and Zope seemed to run ok too ( even though emails on mailinglist
say that it shouldn't ,-)

But when I compiled python2.1.1's cygwin source-package and tried to run
Zope ( 2.6.0 ) I got error stating that interpreter is not initialized
(version mismatch). Full error below.

/home/heimol/Zope-2.6.0-src/z2.py:378: UserWarning: You are running
Python versi
on 2.1.1.  This Python version has known bugs that may cause Zope to run
imprope
rly. Consider upgrading to a Python in the 2.1 series with at least
version numb
er 2.1.3.  (Note that Zope does not yet run under any Python 2.2 version).
   warnings.warn(err)
Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
Aborted (core dumped)

This continued even though I compiled Zope's extensions again ( po_cgi.py ).

Then I downloaded the Python 2.1.3 source package, even though in
howto's it is recommended to use cygwin's source package. And compiled
the python without any patches. Evrything ok.

Trying to run Zope produced same error again.

Decided to do desperate action and rm -rf the whole Zope directory.
Extracted it again from tarball, compiled extensions and it worked.

I'm hoping that if anyone else has in future similar problems they might
find this email and get some comfort that desperate actiona can help too ,-)

--
Heimo Laukkanen
Oy Fountain Park Ltd