[Zope] From development to production ??

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:57:05 -0800

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:38:49PM +0000, Ben Avery wrote:
> Thierry,
>
> You can set up ZSyncer to synchronise products installed on both
> systems, so although you'll still have to install those on both systems,
> when you have done so, you will be able to set up the ZSyncers to
> synchronise the instances of those products no problem. I use this for
> some non-standard install products, like Xron DTML methods, so It should
> do your custom products too.

It syncs my custom products just fine.

Be aware that zsyncer basically:

- "exports" the stuff you're syncing to an in-memory pickle
- transmits the pickle across the network
- uses xml-rpc to have the remote server import this pickle

So it's pretty much just a more convenient way to do import/export.
I mention this because import / export of large items can take
a looooong time.  I don't recommend using zsyncer to transer
200 MB of stuff at once, or you'll be waiting forever for
a success message.  I've done this and gotten success eventually,
but I feel a lot safer syncing in smaller batches.

There are also some thorny issues, like unless the system time
on the two systems is in sync, zsyncer will give you misleading
information about what is and isn't in sync.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com