[Zope] ParsedXML Documentation / Examples?

zoper@disturbance.dhs.org zoper@disturbance.dhs.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Duncan,

Thanks for the response. I guess I should clarify a bit: I am looking for
tools to aid in the creation of XML from a large, heierarchical set of
data (well, large here = ~300 nodes) produced dynamically from an RDBMS,
then store this XML document in a single text blob in the database - kind
of a 'snapshot' of the current set of data. Later, the system will need to
read, parse and display this data, and allow changes to specific nodes to
be made, and then re-store the XML in the database.

The reason for using XML here is that the creation of this data set is
only complex the FIRST time it is generated (it will be generated per-user
in the system I am working on), and so I want to avoid the nastiness of
flattening the data for re-store in the DB. My thinking here is that once
the original per-user complex generation is done, I just hang each user's
data in a single XML set and manipulate that for the user's customizations
going forward.

What I do NOT need to do is have a ZMI interface to the XML, store the XML
in the ZODB, and though it may be needed later, I also do not currently
need to do XSLT transforms on the data.

ZopeXMLMethods looks to be very specific to handling XSL transforms;
ParsedXML, now that I have looked more deeply at it, seems focused on a
ZMI interface to XML documents (though documentation indicates that it
should be possible to use DTML to create and manipulate XML data).

Anyone, please correct me if I am mistaken in the above statements.

At this point, the shortest route to get what I want appears to be to use
TTW Python Scripts and just deal with Python's native XML capabilities...
comments?

Any advice and / or personal anecdotes about what has worked for you and
what hasn't would be appreciated. As with many projects, I am up against a
deadline already passed.