[Zope] How many hits can zope handle?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
08 Jul 2003 00:34:03 -0400

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 23:58, Wayne Connolly wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Chris. My first comment
> is-My gawd: our estimates produced similar number
> though in a more primative fashion.

Good to have a doublecheck, then.  I thought you might have slipped a
decimal point or two.  ;-)

> Our estimate is a 6 month projection based upon
> conservitive estimates, if it flops it flops but we
> have divided our company up in such a fasion that it
> wont impact our other products and our
> income(hopefully: but not likely straight away with
> the money thing :-(. Akamai have provided a quote per
> gig of traffic that will severly reduce our overheads
> to a reasonable level and of course the server
> farm(9600 CDN). We are just trying to see if we can
> 'plug' zope into it because we have had such good
> luck/fun with it in the past.

I'm glad to hear that.

> Unfortunately our server hit rate will be 100% with
> zero cache as each hit auotatically submits info to
> the database. No web pages are called. We will probly
> only recieve about 10 ~ 15 million hits a month for
> web page download(max).

That will make things much more expensive.  Unfortunately, I have no
way  estimate how much more expensive, because all the system
architecture designs that I've been a part of have been for typical web
traffic where there are many reads and few writes: not your target usage
pattern.  There are likely other folks here that have more experience in
OLAP/OLTP than I do, so maybe they can give you their insights.

> All sounds like doom and gloom but with slow uptake
> (6months) we should be able to include zope in the
> loop somewhere. It would be a shame not to...

Not sure where the doom and gloom comes in, sounds like fun to me, as
long as it pays for itself! ;-)