[Zope] i18n site and search robots

Gilles Lenfant gilles@pilotsystems.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:06:30 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de>
To: "Gilles Lenfant" <gilles@pilotsystems.net>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] i18n site and search robots

> Gilles Lenfant wrote at 2003-7-22 15:50 +0200:
>  > This is not strictly speaking a Zope problem, but certainly lots amond
you
>  > faced and fixed this.
>  > I made a i18n site with Localizer that runs fairly good, including its
i18n
>  > search engine.
>  > But what about external searche engine robots (google, infossek...)
>  > How to "tell" them that they may browse and index the pages in french,
>  > english, spanish (...), changing their http header "Accept-Language" ?
>
> Not sure, whether this is the most elegant way, but:
>
>   You could have "language access folders", e.g. "en", "fr", "de".
>
>   Requests that go through these folders select the corresponding
>   language. A ("SiteAccess") AccessRule in the folders ensures
>   that "Accept-Language" is correctly set in "REQUEST.environ"
>   and that even "absolute_url" generates the correct language
>   specific URLs.
>

> Dieter

Dieter,

Thanks for the valuable tip I would use in other situations, but the
Localizer has a built-in magic feature that assumes this (thansform
http://mysite.org/en/stuff into http://mysite.org/stuff with English as
prefered language, ignoring the language cookie and the browser preferences)

I just need to know how to reply to a search engine robot :

"""
Hey robot ! This page is also available in spanish and russian if you
provide the appropriate "Accept-Language" header
"""

This is not the most elegant way but I think that providing (hidden) links
could be the solution.

(<a href="http://mysite.org/es/stuff">in spanish</a> (...) in the page
http://mysite/stuff )

But there are perhaps better "w3c" friendly solutions.

Cheers

--Gilles