[Zope] Best way to export multiple objects

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:14:29 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 05:17:29PM -0400, Tiller, Michael (M.M.) wrote:
> I'd like to migrate pieces of content between servers.  I'm concerned that it will get tedious to do these one at a time.  The problem is that the site is already organized hierarchically and I don't want to throw everything into one big directory and mess that up.  Furthermore, it is a Plone site and there seem to be a few more restrictions.  I tried exporting the whole site...that cause problems (the ZMI interface for these objects looked totally messed up).

This is a known issue with Filesystem Directory View (used by cmf skins).
this may help:
http://plone.org/Members/colin/Document.2003-02-22.1833/

> I also tried taking just the content folders and putting them in a folder via copy/paste to then just export that single folder.  That didn't work because Plone doesn't allow you to copy and paste certain object types (at least I got errors when trying to do so).  Finally, I tried using FTP thinking I could nicely drag and drop stuff from one server to another.  Sadly, the FTP client doesn't support non-standard ports and the one Zope/Plone site that has an FTP on a standard port didn't get along with my FTP client.

what ftp client?  wsftp lets you set nonstandard ports, so does unix command-line
ftp, so does windows console ftp.

> So, all this has me wondering...how can I export my content.  It seems like it would have been a nice feature in Zope to allow me to just check several objects and then hit export and have Zope export all of them.  As far as I can tell, this is not supported.

you're right. it's too bad.
It sounds like you need Zsyncer. :)
http://www.zope.org/Members/andym/ZSyncer

note that it's currently a bit tricky to use with CMF / plone because it
doesn't add a "sync" tab to the zmi inside a plone site.
you have to go directly to the zsyncer instance in the ZMI, click on
the "sync" tab, navigate to your plone site, and then you can check on
folders and pages to sync.

also note that there's been some enhancements since 0.4.6, you might
want to get zsyncer from cvs on sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsyncer

We're planning to add zsyncer support to a cmf tool so you can use it directly
from a cmf / plone site.  but I don't know when that will be.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com