[Zope] DBTab product questions (more...)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:59:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Thierry FLORAC wrote:

> I just have another little question : my old development database had a size
> of 2.8 MB ; I've "extracted" my ZCatalog from it to a new ZODB, and tried to
> pack the two databases : now, each of them has a size of nearly 2.1 or 2.5
> MB, which if "far" more than the original database, so my question : why ??

The Control_Panel stores about 2-3 MB of data, and each database has its
own copy of the Control_Panel.  I wouldn't worry about it though.

> And another one : does the fact of splitting a Zope site between several ZODBs
> can have any impact (improvement or not) on the whole performances ??

There is no measurable difference in performance unless you mount a large
number of databases.  The MountPoint._setDB() and MountPoint.close()
methods are the issue here: they have to open/close all mounted
connections, even if they won't be used in the course of a transaction.
There are surely ways to improve this.

Shane