[Zope] DBTab product questions (more...)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:01:16 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Thierry FLORAC wrote:
>
>>And another one : does the fact of splitting a Zope site between several ZODBs
>>can have any impact (improvement or not) on the whole performances ??
>
> There is no measurable difference in performance unless you mount a large
> number of databases.  The MountPoint._setDB() and MountPoint.close()
> methods are the issue here: they have to open/close all mounted
> connections, even if they won't be used in the course of a transaction.

Hmmm... well, just a data point, but since I moved one of our big setups (Two
ClientStorages mounted into another ClientStorage) from ExtMount to DBTab, I've
noticed that the first object loaded from a mounted storage takes
significantly(and I do mean significant ;-) longer than it used to and longer
than any subsequent loads of objects from that storage. I wonder what's taking
the time? The mounted storages all have fairly large (100-400Mb) ZEO client
caches, but they were that way with ExtMount too.

The only other difference I can think of is that one of the mounted storages is
basically a folder with about 11,000 items in it. This used to be a BTreeFolder
but I've moved it to a BTreeFolder2 (mainly in order to stop the ZMI left pane
killing hte machine by trying to load all 11,000 objects into memory :-S )

Any ideas?

cheers,

Chris