[Zope] properties of ZPT

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 22 May 2003 20:14:54 +0200

Andreas Pakulat wrote at 2003-5-22 00:13 +0200:
 > I've got a small thing with ZPT here. My template got a property
 > "activetab", which represents the number of the active tab in the
 > template. This affects mainly the coloring of table headers. My problem
 > is how to change this property by clicking on a link within one of the
 > tabs?! My first thought was to use a script, but how do I tell the
 > script which tab/link was clicked on? Or can I directly change the
 > property by linking to the template?

Do not use a property for this!

  Which tab is active is *not* a property of the object
  but of the visit history.

  Encode the information in the URL or in a session.
  Look at the ZMI for an example (--> "App/dtml/manage_tabs.dtml")
  how to do this.

Coding "activeness" in the template has 2 serious drawbacks:

  *  visits by other persons change the object state, I see

  *  each visit causes the template to be written to the ZODB
     leading to unnecessary write operations (potential conflict
     errors) and an unnecessary ZODB growth.

Dieter