[Zope] uploading large files w/ LocalFS

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 05:26:40 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:32:19AM -0500, Gilles wrote:
> Yes, big upload/download with zserver is very bad,

This could use a little more discussion I think.
* Why is it bad?
 I can think of one reason: because each upload will keep
 one thread and one ZODB connection busy as long as it's going,
 and zope has a fixed number of threads and ZODB connections
 (set at startup time).

* What are the alternatives?
  It's easy to say "use Apache", but this is rather glib if you're
  working on a content management system for which upload of
  large files is a requirement. And using an external browser means
  you lose so many nice things like zope's security management.

  I've thought it would be nice to have something like "ExtBrowserFile"
  which would work as follows:

  * select "ExtBrowserFile" from the "Add..." menu (zmi or cmf).
  * Form has a typical file upload widget
  * Target of form is a (configurable) external upload script
    running on e.g. apache
  * Zope stores only a small object which contains properties such as
    title, image height & width (not sure how to get these),
    and most importantly, a valid URL at which the image or file can
    be viewed.

  That solves a lot of the problems, but not security. You can of course
  secure the litle meta-object in Zope but what about the actual data?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com