[Zope] uploading large files w/ LocalFS

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
28 May 2003 08:23:53 -0700

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 02:26, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:32:19AM -0500, Gilles wrote:
> > Yes, big upload/download with zserver is very bad,
>
> This could use a little more discussion I think.
> * Why is it bad?
>  I can think of one reason: because each upload will keep
>  one thread and one ZODB connection busy as long as it's going,
>  and zope has a fixed number of threads and ZODB connections
>  (set at startup time).

Good points, to be sure.  As I gather, there is a more fundamental
reason: HTTP upload just isn't that solid to begin with.

> * What are the alternatives?
>   It's easy to say "use Apache",

And fun too! :-)

> but this is rather glib if you're
>   working on a content management system for which upload of
>   large files is a requirement.

Indeed.

My answer to that is "provide/use SSH".  Clearly there needs to be some
way of uploading large files and FTP just isn't it any more.

>  And using an external browser means
>   you lose so many nice things like zope's security management.

Though SSH won't use the Zope security model (that I know of), key-based
authentication isn't that onerous to manage and/or deploy.

$.02,

Dylan