[Zope] Linux distributions for Zope Servers

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Nov 5 15:13:07 EST 2003

Dennis Allison wrote at 2003-11-3 22:04 -0800:
 > ... Linux distributions ...
 > There are a number of candidate--Suse,
 > Mandrake, Debian, etc.
 >
 > Anyone care to document their experiences, good and bad?

I used SuSE Linux from version 4 to version 8.1.

Twice, upgrading has been a nightmare.

The worst has been version 8.1:

  *  Hangs all around: during installation, after boot, in rescue system
     all caused by a missing USB keyboard driver module
     (I have an USB keyboard).

  *  "init.d/boot" not installed -- consequence: file system
     not remounted read/write, thousands of errors on startup

  *  all browsers without working Java support

  *  severe kernel problems; "APIC" disabled to work around
     this problems -- broke commercial product (VMWare)

  *  unhelpful installation help desk

I decided to switch to Debian the next time I make a Linux upgrade.

--
Dieter