[Zope] Apache/Zope Correct?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Nov 19 23:03:32 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 18:27, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> Quoting Dylan Reinhardt <zope at dylanreinhardt.com>:
> > > (And am I the only one who thinks it is
> > > weird to have a specialty web server (presumably for specific
> > > functionality) and then ALWAYS proxy it through a different web
> > > server?)
> >
> > It's less weird if you think of Zope as a development platform... that's
> > where it excels. As a web server, it's merely adequate.
> >
> > Zope's built-in web server is good enough for a decent range of
> > applications... but since it's just as easy to run best-of-breed
> > software in both roles, that's what most people here choose to do.
>
> I don't really think that explanation holds water because you can't
> NOT run ZServer after your development is done.

It used to be more common to run Zope as a cgi.  That's not common usage
any more... but IMO, Zope's essential role is unchanged.

> You just end up
> running a second layer of web server in front of the obligatory
> ZServer one.

But the second layer isn't obligatory at all... just smart.  :-)

>  One of the recent emailed links
> (http://audible.transient.net/zope/#root) has me more or less
> convinced I have to start running my ZServer behind something else for
> safety.

Yep.

>  Annoying but I don't have the Python + security skills to go
> after the issue I wish were addressed so am stuck.

Well... that's a bigger problem.  I'd like to tell you there is such
thing as a secure, ready-made web app platform that's easy to set up and
run... but if there is, I haven't been made aware of it.  I'm not sure
there ever will be such a product, either.

Zope makes a lot of things easier than they used to be, but a lot of
this is still difficult.  I wish you the very best as you work through
the documentation and pick up as much knowledge as you can get your
hands on.  I'm sure you'll find this list a good resource for tips &
clarification as you proceed.

HTH,

Dylan