[Zope] Hardware requirements: cpu or memory?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Oct 6 12:44:45 EDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 05:43:15PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Montag, 6. Oktober 2003 17:41 Uhr +0200 Wouter Vanden Hove
> <atheist at pandora.be> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have Zope and Plone installed on a Pentium 266Mh with 64 MB Memory.
> >And the site is running slow.

I bet it is :-)

I think you mean Pentium II. As far as I know, the Pentium / Pentium
MMX family topped out at 233 MHz.

> >What is the most simple (and cheapest) way to increase its speeds?
> >A new CPU, or could buying some more memory (like 256Mb) be enough?
> >

> Your hardware is obsolete.  Try more RAM and then a new CPU.
> Best to degrade your P266 to a door stopper.

While it's certainly not speedy by modern standards, that would have
been a pretty common spec around the time of zope 2.0.0 :-)
By far the quickest and least painful speed boost will be to
do as Andreas suggests - either put the best CPU and most RAM you
can fit on your motherboard, or scrap the motherboard and
start with something more modern. You may not need a current-model
speed demon, either; I've got a bunch of happy zope sites in the
800 MHz / 256 MB range.

If you are determined to save money and spend time, there are
plenty of ways to speed up zope on slow hardware. First, read this:
http://www.zettai.net/Howto/zopecaching/view
There, you will find some useful links including:
http://plone.org/Members/limi/news/caching-tweak

Another useful cacheing tool, not mentioned on the zettai page,
requires a proxy such as Apache and a bunch of free disk space:
Andy McKay's FSCacheManager.
http://zope.org/Members/andym/FSCacheManager
best downloaded from cvs on the collective project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/collective

Finally, I've really been tempted to give psyco.sf.net a try with zope,
though I haven't heard of anybody giving it a real workout
on a public site yet. A few anecdotes are floating around...
http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists/zope-archive.nsf/47ba74c812dbc5dd8025687f0024bb5f/f79b16d8901139f480256d7a0051456d?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,psyco

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com