[Zope] Site navigation

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Fri Sep 26 04:59:33 EDT 2003

Michael Long wrote:
> Thank you for you thorough critic of this method. I like zpt, the idea
> of having presentation logic in template and business logic in a script
> makes a lot of sense to me. However, I am only now begining to get my
> head around python and the zopish way of doing things. Please clarify
> your comments below.

Well, if you're just starting, learns ZPT now, not DTML...

>>>	setattr(myClass, 'Content_Main', Content_Main)
>>
>>eep!
>
> Why eep!?

You're setting the attribute of a _class_ in a method. Go ask on
comp.lang.python why that's bad, but, the quick answer is just DON'T DO IT!

>>>	if REQUEST is not None:
>>>		return self.Template_index_html(self, REQUEST)
>>
>>Where does Template_index_html come from?
>
> It is defined in a module which is then imported into each module that
> needs it. Is there an issue I should be aware of?

Urm, I don't think you've given the whole story there. How does it end up in self?

> I am simulating the back button in the browser. I am using the following
> solution to make it happen.
> <input type="button" value="Back" onclick="history.go(-1)">

Yup, so why the code? The above is a much better way to do it, although 'back'
as a concept is very simple (hence why everyone loves it), the implementation is
often very complex... think about form submission, and one-way state transitions...

Chris