[Zope] Plone bewilderment

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Tue Feb 10 17:51:36 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:58:02PM -0500, Paul Howell wrote:
> At 03:55 PM 2/10/2004, John Poltorak wrote:
> >Well I have Plone installed now, but don't have a clue about how it all
> >hangs together. It seems pretty overpowering.
> >
> >Where do I start trying to understand what is going on?
>
>     Play, John.  At least "play" is what I consider it, because it is that
> fun to learn.

Yes, it's fun to learn, but it's no fun when things don't work.

I can't even get the hang of changing the skin of a basic site to see what
difference it makes...

I've changed the the Skin selection under portal_skins->Properties to
Mozilla New, saved it, but don't see any difference. The Plone book makes
it sound so simple, and it probably is when it works. It says:-

 If users are allowed to change their skins, they can go to the my
preferences screen and change it there.
<<

But what have I done at this particular point? The default skin is
supposed to be set but I don't see any difference. When does the page get
updated?

>     Build a site using Plone that starts to include some of the
> functionality that you require.  Read through each of the howtos on the
> Plone site and try to use 5 or 10 of them, to see what they do for you --
> doing so will give you ideas about what is possible in the world of
> Plone.  Twiddle with various options to see what they do, and whether you
> like the result.

I'd prefer a few less options to begi with ;-)....

--
John