[Zope] Caching Catalog results for performance

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Tue Feb 24 09:30:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am working on a portal where we want to cache some catalog queries per
person for some time, from few seconds to few minutes - since the data is
something that does not need to be updated every single pageload, but can
be cached for seconds - sometimes even for multiple minutes per user.

What we have been thinking so har is this:

- Cached data will be stored in ram in Temporary folder in simple object
that will store data in it's attribute. Memory is not an issue for now,
and if it will become - cached data will be stored in ZODB, rather than
kept all the time in the memory.

- Since brains are unpickleable we will create a dictionary from the brain
by getting schema from the Catalog and then just getting each
metadatafield from the brain

Has anyone else done similar or thought about doing it?

--
-huima