[Zope] Zope and OS Pythons (Was:ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.6.3 Release and Security Update)

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Fri Jan 9 08:05:48 EST 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 03:23 am, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> I have to agree with the recommendations of never running Zope with the OS
> Python. In fact, I usually don't even get it to work, since the OS Python
> have a tendency to not include modules included in the standard Python
> distribution, or behave weridly in some other way. For example, OpenBSD's
> standard binary Python used to barf on py files with Windows line endings,
> a big problem if you run a mixed environment.

Actually  I disagree. I run debian sid systems and I use the os python for
zope. I have never had a problem with it and it saves me a huge ammount of
headaches since any updates for security etc get automatically applied when I
do updates. I use the debian install of zope also so everything is in the
dependency system.

This has not caused me to run into any strange problems and debian for a long
while now has had multiple versions of python available so zope just uses has
whichever one it needs as a dependency. It just seems to work very well and
it saves me a lot of time. I have also not had a zope crash in about 2 years
now even when doing product developmet under zope by just following the
version of zope that is in debian sid which usually lags behind a new zope
release by a few days.