[Zope] Shared zope.config file.

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Jan 21 14:50:23 EST 2004

Karl Kopper wrote at 2004-1-20 13:58 -0800:
>Running Zope-2.7.0-b4 on Linux using an NFS shared instance home, I'd like
>to share one config file on multiple Zope servers.
>
>Can I use a %define or something to create a `/bin/hostname` variable inside
>of the zope.conf so the lock, log, etc. files are unique?

When you look at the "zope-dev at zope.org" archive, you will
find two extensions to ZConfig I made to address similar needs:

  * A new "%redefine" directive in configuration files.

    It allows us to have the following structure in our
    configuration files:

         XXX.conf:

	   %include common_definitions.conf
	   %redefine HOST abc
	   %include common_XXX.conf

    In our case, the "common*.conf" configuration parts
    are maintained in CVS. Serveral instances need to
    make minor adaptions.

  * Access to the "environment".

    We need this to share configuration between ZConfig
    based application components and components that
    use other configuration mechanisms (e.g. shell scripts,
    such as the starter scripts for Zope/ZEO, ...)
    and to perform arithmetic with configuration values
    (add "port-base" to some fixed offset for ZEO).

I hope but I am not sure whether the patches
mentioned above will find their way into the "ZConfig" core.
This may or may not be an issue for you.

--
Dieter