[Zope] Using Mozilla with Zope

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Jan 27 20:40:09 EST 2004

Tim Edwards wrote:

>I am trying to switch to Mozilla due to IE6 being extremely buggy,
>especially when working through proxy servers. We are currently developing a
>Zope/Plone application which uses standard Zope authentication using an
>acl_users folder. To test this application I need to open a browser window
>onto it, loged-in as a user, however at the same time I also need to have
>another browser window open onto the ZMI logged in as a manager user so that
>I can edit the Scripts/ZPTs.
>
>Doing this in IE6 is simply a matter of starting up 2 intances of it (ie.
>Not clicking File->New->Window to open the 2nd window). This seems to keep
>the authentication info. seperate.
>
>I realise that this is a bit off-topic as it is more of a general
>web-browser question but I was hoping that some Zope users have had some
>experience using Mozilla during application development.

I usually use a Mozilla instance and a Mozilla Firebird instance (or
sometimes even throw Konquerer in on the ZMI task).

Mozilla can have two instances going at the same time if you have two
different profiles: see the Profile Manager. You can either always start
Mozilla that way, or (I think) it'll give you a choice when you try to
start a second time. I recall that the Windows installer makes an icon
for the Profile Manager. On the command line you can just throw a
'-ProfileManager' flag on.

I don't know if Mozilla's issues with multiple instances for the same
profile are intrinsic or a feature.

       --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)