[Zope] Production Advice

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sat Jul 3 12:36:07 EDT 2004

There are various problems with using a Zope setup that is included
with a Linux distribution:

- They are almost always outdated

- They employ their own policies as far as software layout is concerned
that might conflict or at least have nothing in common anymore with a
standard from-source install. This can become problematic when you need
to try and stitch a package in that is not also pre-built for that
specific setup.

- As the never-ending questions about "I installed Zope RPM from XYZ
and now I cannot log in" it seems that these RPM setups, since they
can't insert the step to create the admin user during install like the
source version can, make it harder for  inexperienced Zope users

- On the mailing lists users of such built-in packages are much more
likely to be greeted with silence or told to upgrade or install from
source if they encounter problems. No one wants to debug problems
potentially caused by packaging, and few people want to help with
outdated packages.

IMHO what it amounts to is that it's *not* easier to use preconfigured
and pre-built packages. It is potentially way more frustrating.

jens