[Zope] Newbie needs help

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 03:53:47 EDT 2004

Hi Marc,

Marc Scheib wrote:
> Since I do not know anything about the Zope applications architecture or
> even installation I am asking you for advice on how to disable Zopes
> service temporarily.

But you do not tell us what platform you are on! If Windoze, you could
simply stop the service...

> I could imagine to 'simply' change the Zope port for the next two weeks,
> but i guess for an expert arise even more and surely more intelligent
> ideas.

The orthodox solution would be to change Zope's port and run both Zope
and Tomcat behind Apache. We do this in production, and Apache's proxy
and rewrite facilities make it seamless to the user (on port 80).

> My ideal solution would limit changes to comments on one or two lines of
> code in a 'reusable' manner. Of course I could sudo kill zope-*.py and
> change tomcats config towards 8080, but that way I had to screw around
> with obfuscated bash.sh scripts. Isn't there a way that is far more
> obvious to roll back for the Zope-teams administrator after my
> presentation?

I'd change the port in zope.conf for a quick bodge (You do not tell us
what Zope version either - this may not apply to older versions...).

> Again sorry for not studying the documentation extensively.. I hope very
> much you have a recommendation for me.

You may have to accept that to safely manage Zope you may need to learn
a little more about it...at least to the extent of reading the readme
files installed with the product.

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk / Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to learne" - Chaucer