[Zope] Re: Zope 3 Experiences - UI

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 8 06:05:23 EDT 2004

Samir Mishra wrote:

> I don't expect many users have tried Zope 3 yet, but I'm hoping for some
> feedback from the not-so-technical user groups who have.
>
> First off, I find Zope3 totally different from Zope2.x. For example, the
> task of creating a new user was trivial in Zope2, and it took me a few
> seconds to figure out what was needed to accomplish this without reading the
> manual. Power of the UI. I find the same task overly convoluted in Zope3. I
> know the product is in testing, but my question is - is the user interface
> going to get better? If not, the learning curve for new users is suddenly
> much steeper.

IMO a good default UI is an important key for the success of Z3. The Z2
ZMI is extremly intuitive, that's why I loved Zope the first time I saw it.

I'd love to see more professional help additional to the UI volunteers.
Something like a design guide would help to create a consistend UI (like
interfaces for consistent applications).

I like to volunteer improving the default UI as soon the platform is
stable and I have more time.

IIRC there are already people cooking UI concepts for business needs.

Tonico