[Zope] Re: Restricting Posts to Subscribers

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Tue Jun 29 13:33:04 EDT 2004

1. I posted the article to which this is a followup via gmane, and it
   passed subscriber-only posting restriction.  No doubt left.  Yay!

2. It looks like *any* article posted (and confirmed) via gmane passes the
   subscriber-only posting restriction.  This leads me to believe that
   mailman considers the messages as coming from the gmane subscriber.

While it's great that we *can* post via gmane, it sucks that some spammers
seem to have figured out that they could post that way, and are doing so.
Fortunately, GMane marks items it recognizes as spam by crossposting (or
appearing to crosspost) them to the gmane.spam.detected group.  (GMane
rocks.)  Andrew is going to look at including an zope.org MTA rule which
omits messages marked this way, to filter them out.  I can always add a
mailman spam filter rule which keys on this cue, if that's not feasible.

One way or another, we should be able to close this hole, and have cleaner
list traffic without sacrificing gmane posting access - yay!

Ken
klm at zope.com