[Zope] zope performance issues and it just doesn't scale

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri May 21 12:41:37 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:24:17AM -0700, Trevor Warren wrote:

> --- Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > No, because no-one apart from you seems ot perceive
> > there's a problem here...
> [snip]
>
>  A 2cpu, 1GB Ram machine, 20 users and Zope just
> doesn't scale. I don't think i want to start a flame
> war Chris.

<grumble>
Well then, please refrain from making vague assertions
that contradict our experience and only underscore
the lack of attention you have paid to all the good free advice
you are getting.
</grumble>

>  Bottomline....it just doesn't scale.  A simple 3 page
> test give me throughput so bad i can't speak of. Zope
> didn't scale...hence i tried Zeo/Zope....that didn't
> scale too(On the same machine).

Did you put a load balancer in front of them?

Did your test program hit the load balancer or
one of the zope servers directly?

Did you bind each zope server to a different CPU?

> Am trying Zope/Zeo
> across machines now and will let you know about the
> results. Apache+Zope is something i havent looked at
> yet.

Running zope behind a caching proxy,
whether apache or squid, is the best practice way to get
performance.

<grumble>
We've been telling you that since this thread started...
</grumble>

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com