[Zope] Performance Zope & Caching with Squid

Gregor Melhorn g.melhorn at web.de
Thu Nov 18 11:07:25 EST 2004

Hello Zope-Users,

First: I really don't know much about squid for now.

Second: I've got the following problem on Zope Caching:

My site has a high number of concurrent, authenticated users, that need to
view private content (that's some kind of "worst case", isn't it? *G*).
There is some frequently accessed content that may not be viewed by
anonymous users, but is static to many authenticated users. Obvious solution
would be using a RAM Cache manager, I suppose, so authorization is still
done.

Wouldn't it be faster to have the content cached by a proxy, taking the load
from my ZEO-Clients (that would effectively only serve the same page over
and over again)?

Is it possible to somehow change the cookie user information that is
submitted to Squid, so squid performs an authentication by itself? So I'd
declare these (read-only) pages as cacheable, and Squid performs
authentication before content is served.

Is it possible to use Squid for ssl-encryption?

Thanks in advance.

Gregor