[Zope] Which database?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Tue Nov 30 03:12:33 EST 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 21:33, Jonathan Cyr wrote:
> Everything I've read says that MySQL is much faster, and matches Oracle
> for speed... If your going to do heavy lifting on a budget... something
> to consider.

Well, that's not entirely true: Although MySQL is very fast with simple select
statements, this is not the case with very complicated queries with multiple
table joins etc.

> An advantage of MySQL is that it doesn't encourage you to code in the
> database... stored procedures et al, are nice, but not as easy to manage
> as keeping it in the app code.

"Not encourage" is here equal to "does not support".

Stored procedures have it's place in the database world. Yes, they do have
their drawbacks and it should be carefully considered when to use them. But
this does not mean that their usage always lead to a bad design.

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7