[Zope] Interest in continued Oracle support in Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 2 15:44:11 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote at 2004-9-2 18:15 +1000:
>On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:26:07 +0200, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>> When I had to work with Oracle 3 years ago,
>> I have been *VERY* disappointed (this was Oracle 8i).
>> Despite its high costs (100.000 USD), it was almost
>> unfunctional:
>>   *  memory corruption inside the Oracle client libraries
>>      brought our Zope down within minutes of use
>
>Haven't seen this since we stopped using Oracle on Linux, and even
>then, it was far far less frequent than that - maybe once a month or
>so.

Our Oracle run on Solaris. All reported problems have been for this
combination.

>>   *  some combinations of relational and full text subqueries
>>      let Oracle forget about its indexes.
>>      For example: while a query "Q1 and Q2" took seconds
>>      (Oracle recognized that it had indexes) the query
>>      "Q1 or Q2" (with the same "Q1" and "Q2") took days (!)
>>      (because Oracle had forgotten about the indexes and used
>>      full table scans -- which is a bad idea with hundread of
>>      millions of records and hundreds of gigabyte of data).
>
>Did you use the "explain plan" functionality? Was this with the
>rule-based or cost-based optimiser?

The "explain plan" revealed that Oracle used indexes for
the "and" query but does full table scans for the "or" query.

I know longer know the details -- it is almost three years back.

>I like postgres, but my main problem is finding DBAs with sufficient
>PG knowledge.

There is almost no knowledge necessary. Unlike Oracle which
has hundreds or even thousands of tuning parameters, Postgres
has a few dozens -- and even when the parameters are not well
chosen, Postgres runs acceptably.
When Oracle is not well customized, you get catastrophic
behaviour.

--
Dieter