[Zope] Re: Disgraceful

Sophia Grimm sophiagrimm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 13:19:45 EDT 2004

Hmmm... Couple of comments about etiquette and
documentation...

I'm a newbie programmer (not just a newbie to zope),
and I usually spend hours researching any topic before
I ever ask a question.

That said, I find the zope and plone web sites
unhelpful to the extreme. I've read the zope book
through, as well as other zope manuals, but I usually
need practical examples. When I google search for
help, I don't always know what to look for, or what I
try to look for is not what I find. That doesn't mean
that the writers aren't doing a great job -- you are!
But not everyone has good search skills, and not
everyone will know how to interpret and apply what is
written.

A newbies list would serve one terrific purpose:
Anyone who is on the list to answer questions --
presumably the same people who do it now, like Dieter
and Andreas -- would understand that the subscribers
will include people like me, who try our best and
still need a lot of support. Anyone who doesn't want
to deal with that can choose not to subscribe or
answer.

Unfortunately, there will always be an oversupply of
people with questions and far too few to answer. For
those who do support us, we hope you know that we
appreciate what you do. Please be patient with us!

All that aside, email is a horrible medium for
communication. What you write can be interpreted so
many ways, depending on language, culture, and
individual perception. So it's not necessary to use
rude words to come across that way. I'm sure that
(except possibly within the current thread) no one
*meant* to be rude.

BTW, I intended this email to be a friendly  =-)
commentary.

http://vsbabu.org/mt/archives/2003/05/16/resetting_zopes_session_timeout