[Zope] general API question

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 30 14:39:22 EDT 2004

Please stay on the list... -- readded

David Evans wrote at 2004-9-29 16:07 -0400:
>No offense intended,

No problem, I can live with different opinions...

>Coming from J2EE world, I am able to look as deeply as i
>like into the classes that comprise Struts and Tomcat.

You can do that with Zope to an even greater extend: it is open source
down to the very basics...

But nobody provided documentation for all details -- aside
from the not too bad source documentation. And I am convinced
that this is not bad!

You can use documentation extraction tools (like "DocFinder"
or "epydoc") to derive most mass documentation.

Most of Java documentation you know was derived in the same way.
But, as you do not have full source, someone else had to
extract it for you. With Zope, you can extract it yourself.

>It seems to me
>that without a good understanding of the request and session objects and
>the available methods and properties of these objects it will be
>difficult to write complex applications that are not fragile.

I think, I already told you that the most relevant aspects
of the request and response objects are documented in the Zope Book.

You can write complex applications with the most relevant aspects.
You rarely need the more arcane features.
In those rare case, you have the source as a last ressort.

>Are you a
>developer of zope itself or a user of the product?

I am a user. Probably one can call me a high end user.

But, if necessary, I change Zope, too, or provide additional
products and patches as you can see at

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>

--
Dieter