[Zope] Re: Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:22:36 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I've gotten a lot of grief because of the effort I've been putting into
> getting them to work with Zope 2.8 and the effect that that has had
> on the 2.8 schedule.  Many active Zope developers are (understandbly)
> dismissive of ZClasses, but I think we can't ignore the many people
> who depend on them.

I think this course of action leads to misinforming new users that
ZClasses are a "good thing". If ZClasses really must stay around, then
put them in a big box labelled "some people like these, but the
community as a whole recommends against them", which seems to be the
consensus here.

I think ZPT and python scripts are much more useful tools for newbies
who will often enter with a scripting rather than OO frame of mind.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk