[Zope] Re: Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Apr 7 06:02:13 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Dienstag, 5. April 2005 16:38 Uhr -0400 Jake <jake at zopezone.com>
> wrote:
>
>> And that is probably the best arguement for keeping them around longer.
>

> We should get to the point: if some people depend on ZClasses then they
> should
> take over some responsibility in maintaining them in future releases.

Be careful here.  While there is value in deciding priorities based
on willingness of people to help.  We want people to use Zope *even*
if they can't maintain it.

It would be a huge mistake to gibe people the impression that they should only
use Zope if they are prepared to maintain it themselves.

In other words, the availability of volunteers is a good criteria for
selecting *new* features.

 > It
> can not be
> that a "feature" regarded as obsolete (from the majority) and almost
> unmaintained and
> untouched since  ages holds up further releases.

It is being maintained now.  I don't think we can choose not to maintain
such an important feature.  I agree that new features should only be done
of there are developers willing to do them.

 > I agree with Jim that
> they should be
> officially deprecated - means they could be removed in Zope 2.10.

Whoa, I'm not advocating that.  I was asking if anyone cared.
I strongly suspected that there would be people who did care.

I've gotten a lot of grief because of the effort I've been putting into
getting them to work with Zope 2.8 and the effect that that has had
on the 2.8 schedule.  Many active Zope developers are (understandbly)
dismissive of ZClasses, but I think we can't ignore the many people
who depend on them.

Jim