[Zope] Persistent Objects

Roy S. Rapoport zope at ols.inorganic.org
Fri Apr 8 13:26:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:13:11PM +0200, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> In that case I would just store the information as usual in the ZODB,
> that is, the data is persistent across server restarts, but call a
> method that updates it when you log in (or simply have a button to do
> it).

That works.

> Actually, it does, :) But mainly, it solves a lot of things that were
> problematic with Zope. All development is (currently, this will
> change) done on the file system, no more tricky Python Scripts for
> example.

Hmm.  Wouldn't this allow for massively simpler integration with CVS, then?

> It also allows you to do more things in pure Python, and then "wrap"
> it in Zope configuration stuff. That makes test driven development
> easier, and also reusing pure python stuff gets easier.

Nifty!

> Read a bit about it, and see what you think:
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book
>
> Zope2 is still good. Zope 3 is just better, in many ways, although it
> still lacks in third-party product support.

I'm a bit concerned about my perception of Zope 3's flux.  I was especially
dismayed to see, in the Z3 book,
---
 Zope 3 will come with an advanced ZODB to Filesystem synchronization tool,
similar to CVS. This will allow people to make local copies of their sites
work on it and check in the changes and much more. This recipe will explain
how to effectively use this tool.

Note: This chapter will not be included in the first version of the book,
since Zope X3 3.0.0 will not ship with it and it is not actively maintained
at this point.
---

The first paragraph was great.  The second wasn't :)

-roy