[Zope] Persistent Objects

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:01:47 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 7:26 PM, Roy S. Rapoport <zope at ols.inorganic.org> wrote:
> Hmm.  Wouldn't this allow for massively simpler integration with CVS, then?

It does yes. But developing on the file system only is possoble with
Zope2 as well, of course, so theres not actual difference there.
However, typically with Zope2 you end up using CMF as well, and
although scripts and ZPTs are stored on the filesystem there, CMF
treats them as if they are not, and hence you have security
restrictions, which means you have to use restricted python, and then
you have to trick yourself around that, and so on forever...  ;-)
Easier to just have plain Python all the way.

> I'm a bit concerned about my perception of Zope 3's flux.  I was especially
> dismayed to see, in the Z3 book,
> ---
>  Zope 3 will come with an advanced ZODB to Filesystem synchronization tool,
> similar to CVS. This will allow people to make local copies of their sites
> work on it and check in the changes and much more. This recipe will explain
> how to effectively use this tool.
>
> Note: This chapter will not be included in the first version of the book,
> since Zope X3 3.0.0 will not ship with it and it is not actively maintained
> at this point.
> ---
>
> The first paragraph was great.  The second wasn't :)

Well, that was all a part of the ideas they had for through-the-web
development, and that was put on hold to implement other stuff. With
file-system development only, you don't need it. :)