[Zope] when can a product be refreshed?

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Thu Feb 24 10:51:35 EST 2005

Paul Winkler  <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:22:30PM +0100, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> > There's usually no problem with using refresh and monkey-patching.
> >
> > Only badly written products that monkey patch by first unconditonnaly
> > saving the old version of a function/method, then replacing it with some
> > new one that does stuff and then calls the old one, may fail.
>
> That's probably what I saw.
>
> Aside from refresh, are there other reasons you consider that technique
> bad? I've often used it as a sort of in-place decorator.
>
> The obvious alternative is to copy/paste the code from the
> original method. Is that what you prefer?

It depends, sometimes I have no other option than modifying a
copy/pasted method because it's big and the change I have to do is in
the middle of it. Copy/pasting is also bad if you expect the 'original'
method to change over time, so you'll get de-synced.

Most of the time I prefer to do my stuff and call the original one
(before or after).

For small methods where's there's no risk of version drift though I just
copy/paste them and change them.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com