[Zope] Re: dreamwaeaver, zope, and webdav

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:52:58 EST 2005

The University here, pays for a site license for DW and other MacroMedia
products so it is readily available here.

My users have been using DreamWeaver since at least DW 4.  The only
changes I have had to make is moving from DW's ftp to WEB DAV since DW's
ftp made changes with every update that wouldn't work with Zope and our
network.  We are now using WEB DAV with the Site portion of DW.  I have
one user using HotDog and we had to install DW on her machine for the
WEB DAV feature since its not incorporated in HotDog.
Just yesterday we started looking into (free) standalone WEB DAV clients
since the new XP WEB Folders won't try to authenticate unless you create
a new folder and then you can copy files to the Zope.  We found many WEB
DAV clients that would transfer files to Zope but that literally caused
a problem, a file.  Transferring a .jpg into a PhotoFolder showed up in
Zope as a file(octetstream...) not a Photo object.  After finding
references to NetDrive from Novell (lets you map ftp,webdav, other as
local drive in Windows Explorer, not IE) I downloaded that and installed
it.  Graphics transfered using NetDrive retain their content type when
transfered to a Zope server is what I've found so far.  NetDrive was
designed to map a Novell drive without having to have a Novell client
installed.

In summary, to answer your question plain and simple is I use vi when
not using the ZMI. When creating CSS pages I use Layout Master from
www.westciv.com, paste source in Zope and then edit in vi or ZMI. ;-)

Tom