[Zope] Re: dreamwaeaver, zope, and webdav

Pavlo Korzhyk pkorzh at ua.fm
Mon Jan 10 14:15:48 EST 2005

Hello Thomas,

TB> My users have been using DreamWeaver since at least DW 4.  The
TB> only changes I have had to make is moving from DW's ftp to WEB DAV
TB> since DW's ftp made changes with every update that wouldn't work
TB> with Zope and our network.  We are now using WEB DAV with the Site
TB> portion of DW.  I have one user using HotDog and we had to install
TB> DW on her machine for the WEB DAV feature since its not
TB> incorporated in HotDog.   Just yesterday we started looking into
TB> (free) standalone WEB DAV clients since the new XP WEB Folders
TB> won't try to authenticate unless you create a new folder and then
TB> you can copy files to the Zope.  We found many WEB DAV clients
TB> that would transfer files to Zope but that literally caused a
TB> problem, a file.  Transferring a .jpg into a PhotoFolder showed up
TB> in Zope as a file(octetstream...) not a Photo object.  After
TB> finding references to NetDrive from Novell (lets you map
TB> ftp,webdav, other as local drive in Windows Explorer, not IE) I
TB> downloaded that and installed it.

Zope Book:
  ...if you upload an HTML file "foo.html" via FTP to a place
where "foo.html" did not previously exist, it will be created (by
default) as a DTML Document object, whereas you may want it to be
created as a Zope Page Template. Zope provides a facility to specify
the object type created on a per-folder and per-request basis
(PUT_factory) that is detailed in this chapter.

Instead of installing NetDrive you could create a PUT_factory script
that will determine what type of the object you want (based on its extension or
folder name).

--
Best regards,
 Pavlo                            mailto:pkorzh at ua.fm