[Zope] Python 2.3.3 vs. Python 2.3.4

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Mon Jan 17 12:40:43 EST 2005

>> perhaps an rpm -Uvh rather than an rom -ivh is a better idea
>> when upgrading?

I am literally terrified of overwriting the Fedora Core 1 System
python in this manner (this is a production system).  If I did that,
FC1 would be trashed, as lots relys on the older version of Python.
I have no way to judge if what you suggest is safe of not, except
some vague Q&A's at python.org that might suggest that it is.  My
understanding is that -ivh will install alongside previous versions
as opposed to upgrading them, and thus is a safer option.

>> Build python
This is maybe what I should do.  Can and one provide definitive
insight into how to do this alongside the existing FC1 python. The
two python versions must be completely separate, or the system is
toast.

I'm guessing something along the lines of:

cd python2.4
configure --prefix=/where/should/I/put/python?
make
make install

Per above, I need help with the prefix-- what should the path to the
new python be? There shold be no chance of overwriting the system
python.

Thanks!

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning