[Zope] date/time woes

Andrew Milton akm at theinternet.com.au
Tue Mar 15 08:23:39 EST 2005

+-------[ Tomasz Ciolek ]----------------------
| Hi all
|
| Background:
|
| I am running a Linux system with Zope+Plone. My system clock is set to
| UTC(GMT) and my system knows the timeone its in - Australia Eastern Time
| (+1000 or +1100 for daylight saving).

Erm. Then it's not set correctly. If your clock is set to UTC, then your
timezone should also be set as such, otherwise your clock isn't really
reflecting UTC. Anyway, this isn't really all that relevant to the problem at
hand..

| Problem:
| CMFcalendar isists in makeing all dates US/Eastern, and in fact sets
| many events forward or back in time. So do rest of Zope and Plone
| products.
|
| With all of this, I and my collegues are getting the jack of this
| behaviour and some dissenting voices argued for ditching zope as the
| framework in favour of somesthing "That can get the date right. Were not
| Americans."
|
| Question:
| How do I get Zope and its products to take account of my TZ settings?
| Is there a way to force ZOPE to live in my timezone instead opf some
| place in Eastern US, which is probaly a niceplace, is NOT where I am(!).
|
| Any advice?

The short answer is; "Fix it".

The long answer is;

Edit lib/python/DateTime/DateTime.py

change any reference to "EST" to "USEST"
change any reference to "est" to "USest"

then change any references to "AEST" to "EST"
then change any references to "aest" to "est"

restart zope.

The "AEST" timezone only exists in "windows land" as far as I can tell.

--
Andrew Milton
akm at theinternet.com.au