[Zope] Newbie Zope Howto

bruno modulix bruno at modulix.org
Thu Mar 31 05:27:52 EST 2005

Enrique Arizón wrote:
>  I'm trying to do a micro-Zope that basically store
> documents (PDFs scanned files) with some custom-made
> attributes (¿Who stores the document?, ¿where is the
> original -physical paper- stored?, ¿who is in charge
> of maintenance?, ¿token words?, ...) so that final
> users are able to search for stored docs based on
> those properties (ideally using regex approach, not
> exact matches). The idea is that users insert the
> scanned pdfs through a normal html form that forces
> them to input the additional data -properties- and
> reject the input if required fields are empty. Since
> I'm complety new to Zope and I see there are too many
> ways to approach the problem I wonder what's the
> easiest way to make it.

I don't know if it's the "easiest" way, but this needs a specific
Product developpement IMHO. Subclassing (or wrapping + delegating to)
OFS.File shoud do it. As for searches, I'd first try to use Catalogs
before trying ti reinvent the wheel. Also prefer ZPT for your form and
delegate validation to a Python script (DTML is kind of messy IMHO)

If you have no experience with Products developpement, I found these
pages to be quite helpful :
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_01
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_02

caution : there are a few small errors in the code - I promised the
author to send him a correction, but did not found time to do so :(

>  Thanks in advance for any help, hint or link!!

HTH
--
Bruno Desthuilliers
Développeur