[Zope] Debugging product init with zopectl?

Konrad Rokicki krokicki at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:36:41 EDT 2005

Hi all,
I'm new to Zope, getting started with the "minimal" project
(http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_01). For whatever
reason, minimal doesn't work out of the box. That would be fine except
that when I start Zope with zopectl it reports status as fine and the
process runs, but I don't get any logs generated and I can't connect
to the server.

But, if I use runzope I can see what's wrong and the server dies immediately:
File "/var/lib/zope/zope-test/Products/minimal/__init__.py", line 8,
in initialize
    constructors = (
AttributeError: manage_addMinimalForm

My concern isn't this error, which I fixed by importing the function
explicitly. But why did I have to use runzope to see this? Shouldn't
zopectl inform me that the server is completely broken?

By the way, I'm using a standard Gentoo installation of Zope, and I
haven't changed any options from defaults.

Could someone please tell me if this is expected behavior? Should I be
using runzope in a screen or something?
Thanks,
Konrad