[Zope] ack! Zope stopped starting as a Windows Service

Chris Curvey ccurvey at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:05:37 EDT 2005

Everything was going so well today, too....

Zope was installed as part of the Plone 2 installer on Win2K. Has been
running fine for several months.

I was adding some issues to my collector, and things started hanging up on
my system. After reboot, the Zope service did not start, trying to start it
manually through the service manager gives

"could not start the zope instance at c:\program files\Plone2\Data service
on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. There could be an
internal windows error or an internal service error."

the last three messages in the error log are:

total failure getting the folderlisting action for the folder
http://compaq.antiques:8080/Knowledgebase/tech/collector.2005-01-07.332951554

trying to restart the server via the service manager does not create a
new event log.

I can start Zope manually via runzope.bat, and it will work, though it gives
me this error:

C:\Program Files\Plone 2\Zope\lib\python\Zope\Startup \run.py" -C
"C:\Program Fil
es\Plone 2\Data\etc\zope.conf"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Plone 2\Zope\lib\python\Products\CMFBoard\Forum.py",
li
ne 34, in ?
from ForumMailReceiver import MailReceiver
File "C:\Program Files\Plone
2\Zope\lib\python\Products\CMFBoard\ForumMailRece
iver.py", line 22, in ?
from Products.PortalTransport.interfaces.mailreceiver import IMailReceiver
ImportError: No module named PortalTransport.interfaces.mailreceiver
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Plone 2\Zope\lib\python\Products\CMFBoard\Forum.py",
li
ne 41, in ?
from Subscribeable import Subscribeable
File "C:\Program Files\Plone
2\Zope\lib\python\Products\CMFBoard\Subscribeable
.py", line 18, in ?
from Products.PortalTransport.SubscribeableMember import SubscribeableMember

ImportError: No module named PortalTransport.SubscribeableMember

Help! I was using that Zope instance as a spare brain, and my last backup
is....[expletive deleted]... too old to be useful.