[Zope] Re: Can't see new Plone installation

Brian Hickey brian.hickey at version1.ie
Thu May 12 15:31:42 EDT 2005

Hi Jochen,

Thanks again for assisting...
> Hi Brian,
>
> Brian Hickey wrote:
> > Hi Jochen,
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  This is a strange one - it's a little awkward to
find
> > out what's going on, as it's a shared hosting facility with some kind of
> > virtual private server setup on it.  There seems to be two versions of
> > python - 2.3.4 and 2.1.3.  The 2.1.3 was installed when I installed
> > Zope-2.6.3.  However, if I call python from the command line, I get
2.3.4.

> try e.g. calling python2.1 . If you have an uptodate portssystem you
> have several python ports, which could be installed in parallel, each
> with a seperate lib and sitepackages directory.
>
> lang/python (normally the newest version of python, now 2.4.1, installes
>               an executable "python")
> lang/python21 (install an executable "python2.1")
> lang/python22 (likewise)
> lang/python23 (likewise)

Unfortunately, python doesn't seem to have been installed from ports (at
least, not directly).  The environment I'm working on is a shared host
implementing a virtual private server.  To install python (and other tools),
I have to use some kind of packager tool called vinstall.  Unfortunately,
this gives me no config options, except which version of python I wish to
install.

> > How do I go about updating the version of python that Zope is using?  In
> > your experience, do you reckon that will solve the issue?
>
> if you make an update to e.g. python 2.3.x, you would have to reinstall
> Zope (but i don't know if Zope 2.6.3 runs with python 2.3.x)
>
> Also look if the python 2.3.4 is compiled with the option
> "HUGE_STACK_SIZE" set to "on" (you can look at
> /var/db/ports/python23/options) If not, you have to reinstall it with
> this option set.

I have sent a request to the hosts' support to get the Makefile.pre.in file,
so I can determine what stack size they have set for the vinstall.

> So you can  either update the python 2.1.3 to the newest version of the
> lang/python21 port (which includes the stacksize patch) and keep running
> the Zope 2.6.3 (but IIRC this is a rather buggy version of Zope) or
> update to the actual versions (Zope 2.7.6 with Python 2.3.5, but Python
> 2.3.4 should work too, both)

I have been at this for several evenings now (can't do it during normal
working hours in case I break the server [yeah, it's nice to have the
confidence of superiors!]), and bit the bullet today, and tried to reinstall
the latest of everything.  I now have Zope 2.7.4 using Python 2.3.4.  I can
add all the various products in the Plone 2.0.5 tarball it all works, with
the exception of CMFPlone.  Once this directory is added, Zope refuses to
respond.  So, I'm still no closer to even identifying where the problem
actually is, but my suspicion is still python.

So much for the new Plone website tomorrow afternoon :)

> If you have no Zope-Products installed, that doesn't work with the newer
> version, i would go to the 2.3.x/2.7.6 variant.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> Ciao,
> Jochen