[Zope] Re: Can't see new Plone installation

Jochen Knuth J.Knuth at ipro.de
Thu May 12 16:07:56 EDT 2005

Hi Brian,

Brian Hickey wrote:

> Unfortunately, python doesn't seem to have been installed from ports (at
> least, not directly).  The environment I'm working on is a shared host
> implementing a virtual private server.  To install python (and other tools),
> I have to use some kind of packager tool called vinstall.  Unfortunately,
> this gives me no config options, except which version of python I wish to
> install.

i have my own freebsd servers (atm updating from 5.3-Stable to
5.4-Release), so i can use the ports directly.

can you compile your own python?
(remember to compile with the flag "-DTHREAD_STACK_SIZE=0x100000" set,
this is what the option HUGE_STACK_SIZE does, also don't forget to
configure --with-threads)

Don't know about the other patches/flags.

> I have sent a request to the hosts' support to get the Makefile.pre.in file,
> so I can determine what stack size they have set for the vinstall.

don't know if it is visible there.

> I have been at this for several evenings now (can't do it during normal
> working hours in case I break the server [yeah, it's nice to have the
> confidence of superiors!]), and bit the bullet today, and tried to reinstall
> the latest of everything.  I now have Zope 2.7.4 using Python 2.3.4.  I can
> add all the various products in the Plone 2.0.5 tarball it all works, with
> the exception of CMFPlone.  Once this directory is added, Zope refuses to
> respond.  So, I'm still no closer to even identifying where the problem
> actually is, but my suspicion is still python.

this is exactly the symptom when the stack size is not upped, so i think
it is really this problem.

> So much for the new Plone website tomorrow afternoon :)

Ciao,
Jochen
Jochen Knuth          WebMaster http://www.ipro.de
IPRO GmbH             Phone ++49-7152-93330
Steinbeisstr. 6       Fax ++49-7152-933340
71229 Leonberg        EMail: J.Knuth at ipro.de