[Zope] Hiding HTML URL

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 11:06:33 EDT 2005

www.myApp.com/updateChartOfAccounts. Because that would be "out of

>>context".  Sure you can respond with an error message.  But why should
>>they see it in the first place?
>>

>They shouldn't, the application should be written in such a way that
>this is a POST, and it won't appear in the history.

POST conceals parameters not paths from history. And I only described a
WAY to handle the problem.

>>With a stable URL they just click www.myApp.com and they get the main
>>page - every time.
>>

>That's what bookmarks are for. You're trying to force your ideas of
>bookmarking and history management to the users.

I wish I could impose my ideas on users.   I respond to specs.  Yes, I
will fight the good fight when a spec is silly. I've even turned down
gigs because the client was stubborn and what they wanted would be a
disaster. But URL "cloaking" is not silly to some clients and the
pattern I described handles it nicely and has benefits well beyond
maintaining a stable URL.
Note:  Sometimes I sense a "culture clash" between Advanced Zope
developement guys, Web presentation guys and us lowly application
developers that get the joy of accounting systems online.

>>The question remains - is there an elegant solution to this.
>>

>What you call "stable URL" everybody else calls "cloaking" or "jailing".
>It *is* hostile to the user.

Im curious, how is it "hostile" to a user?

If there are superior patterns (for Business Apps) Im the first that
wants to see them and this is  a welcome discussion. :-)

Thanks very much Florent,

David