[Zope] Hiding HTML URL

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon May 23 15:08:18 EDT 2005

> I wish I could impose my ideas on users.   I respond to specs.  Yes, I
> will fight the good fight when a spec is silly.

If this is coming from a spec, it's very silly, and a total waste of
your time...

> I've even turned down
> gigs because the client was stubborn and what they wanted would be a
> disaster.

So you turned this one down, right?

>But URL "cloaking" is not silly to some clients and the
> pattern I described handles it nicely and has benefits well beyond
> maintaining a stable URL.

Oh? Do enlighten us... ;-)

> Note:  Sometimes I sense a "culture clash" between Advanced Zope
> developement guys,

"people with brains"

> Web presentation guys

"people with too little brain to understand or care what usability
really means" ;-)

> and us lowly application
> developers that get the joy of accounting systems online.

"people who should know better but are too timid to speak" *grinz*

> Im curious, how is it "hostile" to a user?

It's grim to debug, and will confuse your users even more when it goes
wrong. "but the thingy in the box is still the same, why is it not working"

> If there are superior patterns (for Business Apps) Im the first that
> wants to see them and this is  a welcome discussion. :-)

There are many, but that's beyond the scope of this list...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk