[Zope] Error on starting and stopping Zope 2.8.2

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:16:50 EDT 2005

[ hpinson at indepthl.com]
> My mistake, but given that, any sense if I can I safely ignore the
> warning?

It's a DeprecationWarning.  All it means is that Python's `whrandom`
module is going to go away in a future release -- it's advising
applications to switch to using the `random` module if they want to
continue to work under future releases.  It's purely advisory, and in
no sense points at "a problem".

> So far, things seems to be running well under Python 2.4.2. The
> instance contains a Plone 2.1 site and lots of DTML/ZSQL stuff, which
> appear unaffected.

Python 2.4.2 works fine.  That's not the concern.  The Zope concern
for moving to any new Python release isn't that Python may be buggy,
it's that a new Python release may introduce new behaviors that open
"security holes" in Zope.  Until a security audit is performed (which
is done by expert humans), and any new security holes that may be
discovered get plugged, 2.4.2 will remain unsupported for use with
Zope 2.

In contrast, Python 2.4 is now _required_ for Zope 3 development.
Zope 3 has a different approach to security, which isn't as sensitive
to changes in Python.